Wednesday, January 7

In A Big Country



I’m still thinking about Meursault. It’s definitely one of my favorite albums of 2008. I want to try and do something interesting when I talk about it here and have yet to figure out a clever angle from which to approach it.

I spent a lot of today finding 80’s singles. The joys of being unemployed! I don’t entirely know why I love so much of this stuff. Everything from Fine Young Cannibals to Oingo Boingo to Genesis. Apparently I used to dance to Genesis when I was a little kid a lot. This could explain my love for Peter Gabriel of Phil Collins but there isn’t a lot of hits made between 1981 and 1989 that I can’t get down to. Even Huey Lewis and the New, especially "Power of Love." Though we can chalk that up to Michael J Fox and American Psycho.

I really can’t stop listening to “In A Big Country” by Big Country. I seem to remember hearing on the radio as a little kid and then seeing it in a movie. I can’t remember the name but it was probably starring Andrew McCarthy and involved New York, a montage and a highly unbelievable premise.

Anyway… I love guitar that sounds like a bagpipe. Sing along with me (cause I’ll have this on repeat for the next two or three days):

I've never seen you look like this without a reason,
Another promise fallen through, another season passes by you.
I never took the smile away from anybody's face,
And that's a desperate way to look for someone who is still a child.

And in a big country, dreams stay with you,
Like a lover's voice, fires the mountainside..
Stay alive.

(I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered
But you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered)

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert,
But I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime.

So take that look out of here, it doesn't fit you.
Because it's happened doesn't mean you've been discarded.
Pull up your head off the floor, come up screaming.
Cry out for everything you ever might have wanted.
I thought that pain and truth were things that really mattered
But you can't stay here with every single hope you had shattered.

I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert,
But I can live and breathe and see the sun in wintertime.

Happy New Year too!

No comments: